2019 Pogie’s Kayak Redfish Cup Rules and Regulations These rules will remain in effect during the year 2019. Interpretation of these rules will be left exclusively to the Tournament Director. In the event of a rule violation, the Tournament Director may impose such sanctions, as he deems appropriate, including, without limitation, disqualifications, forfeiture of prizes and prohibition from participation in subsequent tournaments. Decisions of the Tournament Director are final in all matters and are not subject to appeal, and are not reviewable by any court of law. Pogie’s, LLC reserves the right to make needed changes to these rules in order to ensure the safety, welfare of the Pogie’s, LLC anglers, and/or the public and preserve the integrity of Pogie’s, LLC. Any rule changes will immediately supersede all previously published copies of rules. It is your responsibility to read and understand the rules and how you, your points and qualification for the Championship are affected by not complying with the following rules. Every competitor will be required to sign a liability release/permission form for use of image/agreement to the official rules prior to the first day’s competition.
1. PARTICIPATION AND ELIGIBILITY: Participation is open to anyone 18 years of age or older. Minors are eligible to participate with a parent or legal guardian signature on the release form. A completed entry form, waiver, and entry fee must be received no later than the published entry date. If a participant is awarded prize money during the year a SSN will be required before getting a check. Each participant is responsible for taxable earnings at the end of the year.
2. REGISTRATION AND CAPTAINS MEETING: Registration will open 08/12/2019. All entry fees are NON-TRANSFERABLE and NON-REFUNDABLE. The Captains Meeting will be held at the shop on the Friday before the Tournament 6pm-7pm, it will also be broadcasted on FaceBook LIVE for anglers unable to attend. It is the angler’s responsibility to get all the information pertaining to the meeting whether in person or through FB LIVE. The angler will be required to meet the Tournament Director at 107 N Front St Swansboro NC 28584 the day of the tournament to pick up their token between the hours of 5am-6am. Measuring sticks to be used by an angler during the tournament are to be brought to the Director for approval by tournament committee. Measuring stick approved by the committee will be the only sticks permitted for use during the tournament. Use of any non-approved stick will result in disqualification. We will supply measuring sticks along with placard to any angler who needs one.
3. NO FISHING OR KAYAKING BETWEEN CAPTAIN'S MEETING AND SAFE LIGHT: Anglers are prohibited from fishing after the Captain's Meeting until Safe Light's launch time. Anglers are also not permitted to launch their kayak for the purposes of traveling, positioning, or scouting between the Captain's Meeting and Safe Light. The day's kayaking must begin at the point of launch, when the put-in photo is taken.
4. SAFETY: Safe boating will be observed at all times. During competition each contestant is required to comply with US Coast Guard regulations. In addition, participants must wear a PFD at all times while competing in the event and be in possession of a sounding device. Tournament days may be shortened or canceled due to unsafe weather or water conditions. The decision to shorten or to cancel will be left totally to the discretion of the Tournament Director. A 4-hour period shall constitute a day of fishing.
5. CHECK IN: Check in will be anytime before 4pm. All competitors must check in their photos, token and measuring devices by the check in time to be eligible for fishing prizes we will be using an app for photos this year to ensure fairness.
6. SPORTSMANSHIP: Competitors in the Pogie’s Kayak Redfish Cup events are expected to follow high standards of sportsmanship, courtesy, safety and conservation. Any infraction of these fundamental sporting principles may be deemed cause for disqualification. Maximum courtesy must be practiced at all times, especially with regard to boating and angling in the vicinity of non-competitors who may be on tournament waters. Any act of a competitor, which reflects unfavorably upon Pogie’s effort to promote fisheries conservation, clean waters, and courtesy, shall be reason for disqualification. Evidence of chemical substance addiction or abuse or other conduct reflecting unfavorably upon the Pogie’s efforts to promote safety, sportsmanship and compliance with tournament rules shall be grounds for rejecting any application for participation and for disqualification. Any act deemed by the Tournament Director that gives an angler an unfair advantage not specifically covered under this set of rules shall be grounds for disqualification. Any violation by an angler deemed intentional or preconceived by the Tournament Director to gain an unfair advantage, would be grounds for permanent disqualification.
7. ALCOHOL AND DRUGS: The consuming or transporting of any alcoholic beverages or drugs (other than prescription or OTC drugs) during official tournament hours, on any tournament angler’s boat is prohibited, and angler or anglers will be disqualified from this and possibly all future tournaments.
8. PERMITTED FISHING METHODS: All fish must be caught, photographed, and released alive in a conventional sporting manner. Anglers may not catch fish or weigh in fish that have been caged or confined in an area prior to the tournament. All fish must be caught from either the kayak (self-propelled water craft) or wade fishing (provided the kayak is tethered to the angler ( tether can not be longer than 6 feet). During the hours of competition, contestants may not obtain or receive assistance, including but not limited to the following: a non-competitor’s boat, the placing of markers by a non-competitor, being towed by or riding on motorized vessels, or receiving electronic, voice or data communication from a non-competitor.
9. TACKLE AND EQUIPMENT: Artificial and live bait can be used.
10. COMMUNICATIONS: A VHF radio is recommended for all tournament vessels. The VHF may be mounted or portable.
11. NO MOTORS: The use of a boat or motorized water vehicle to transport your boat on the water is prohibited. All craft must be self-propelled - no motors are allowed (electric or combustion).
12. PERMITTED FISHING LOCATIONS: All fishing locations must be in inshore waters defined as being inside of all inlets and demarcation lines, accessible to the public at all times according to state and federal regulations. They must also be within NC Borders. Anglers must return to the launch they began their day from at safe light. Anglers may not put in at a launch and return to a different one. To ensure this we will require a photo with your placard at the time of launch and take out.
13.PRIVATE LAUNCHES: Everyone will be launching from and kicking off from Pogies. We will have plenty of staff on hand.
14. SCORING: The event uses catch-photo-release scoring determined by the length of each fish. Each angler will be issued a unique scoring marker/token at the check in the morning of tourney. The first photo on the camera must be of your rigged boat as put in at launch with measuring device that was approved at that Captain’s Meeting by the tournament committee and scoring marker visible. Fish must be photographed in or on the boat, on the provided measuring device, clearly showing the length of the fish with the scoring marker and boat visible. More than one photo of a fish may be taken. Length is determined from the forward most point of the fish to the pinched top of the tail with the fish’s mouth closed. fish may be above the slot limit. There is no maximum length for a fish in the tournament, however a fish that is larger than the measuring stick that an angler submitted will only be given credit for the maximum length of their measuring stick. In the event of a tie the entry checked in earliest will be declared the winner. The Tournament Director will review the photos to verify reported results and determine place winners. The Tournament Director is responsible for the final call in all matters.
The longest fish in each species will be counted, if you and only if you catch one flounder, redfish, and trout, your total combined length of all fish will determine you standing in the Grand slam prize.
15. MINIMUM FISH LENGTHS: There is no minimum length on fish.
16. DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY: Participants may only use digital cameras or cell phones for recording scoring fish (cameras may not be shared by competitors). Images may not be digitally altered or enhanced in any way. Anglers should shoot images at maximum resolution possible. Entrants must bring the memory card from their camera to check-in. The photography scoring process will be explained in detail at each Captain's Meeting.
17. PROTEST: All protests must be submitted in writing along with a $100 cash deposit, within thirty (30) minutes of check-in time to the Tournament Director. The protester also agrees that if there is a question of verifying the charge of a protest that he or she also may be subject to take a polygraph and agree to testify in a court of law if necessary. If the Tournament Director, or polygraph, upholds the protest, the cash deposit shall be returned to the contestant submitting the protest.
18. POLYGRAPH: Each contestant who fishes an Pogie’s Kayak Redfish Cup event agrees to potentially submit to a polygraph examination at a time and location determined by the Tournament Director following the end of the competition in each tournament and abides by its conclusion. Failure to pass the polygraph will result in disqualification.
19. RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE: A waiver, release of liability, and covenant not to sue are part of the entry form. It is required that all contestants take responsibility for themselves while participating in event activities.
20. PHOTO RELEASE: Anglers agree to grant the Inshore Fishing Association a non-exclusive license for the photos to be used at their discretion. Contestants grant Pogie’s, LLC and the sponsors the unconditional right to use their name, voice, photographic likeness and biographical information in connection with Pogie’s, LLC tournaments, production, promotion, and/or articles and press releases, and shall not be entitled to receive any royalties or other compensation in connection with such use.
21. RULE CHANGES: Rules interpretation is exclusively left to the Tournament Director. The decisions of the Tournament Director are final in all matters and are not subject to appeal